Thursday, January 23, 2014

So Many Choices!

So True!
Agency. Have you ever thought about that word before? It is an interesting one really. One that is important. Extremely important. But why?


Agency is another common word for the ability to choose. This is something that all of us use on a daily basis. Frequently we use it minutely and sometimes even every second. If we think about this, it really is something amazing. The power to choose and to decide is absolutely incredible.

I am so grateful that I have this ability in my life. We literally have agency over everything. We can choose to be happy or to be sad; frustrated and stressed out or at peace happy. This is something that is part of the daily adventure of life right? We can choose what we are going to wear, what to eat, who to talk to, where to go, what goals to reach, to do homework or not :), and the list can really go on for forever. I am sure that I missed a few good ones in there so please, do excuse my ignorance of...maybe Cheetos or Doritos...oh wait there it is! Anyway, as you can see these choices sometimes are so easy! Then there are decsions which may seem much harder. For example: What career should I choose? Who should I associate myself with? Should I pursue and try to develop a relationship with God? Where should I work? And should I really have that last piece of cake?...okay well the last one maybe not so serious :) Or it could be! But I think that we all get the picture here. Right? I mean we are all faced with decisions. Oh those dreaded or delightful decisions! Sometimes they are pounded upon us. I will be the first to say that making decisions is hard! Let me tell you it really is. It is something that I struggle with! Decisions are so important and they need to be made carefully and that can be overwhelming! I know how it feels to have to make a lot of decisions. It is something that we are faced with daily as missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. We have to decide a lot of things all of the time. That has been a huge learning experience for me!

Something that I have realized though is that all of this decision making is a gift. It is a gift directly from our Heavenly Father. He loves us. He loves us so much that he has given us all, every single one of us, the ability to choose. We all can see the good and the bad that is happening today in the world. Many things are clearly set before us. We can see between the gracious and glorious good works of God and the temptations, doubt, and despair that come from our common enemy the adversary. We all have this right and wrong set before us. It literally is right in front of us at almost all times. We live in an age where we can use our agency and access good and bad instantly at the click of a mouse or the touch of a finger on a screen. A lot of the time in these days we have to be careful. Why do I say that? Simply because things are changing and progressing at a rapid rate. And that means that Satan is too. This age is really his "A game". As many of us can see he is hitting hard everywhere. Books, movies, advertisements, TV shows, and also families. Many things that were once called evil are now called good. Also the good in the world is seemingly almost looked upon as bad and "not fun".

So what does this have to do with agency you might ask? Well it has everything to do with it. Trust me. Our Heavenly Father has given us this gift because it is at the core of our existence. The biggest choice that we have of all is if we will follow in the footsteps of our Savior Jesus Christ. That is most likely the most important decision that we can make in our entire lives. That is the reason why our Heavenly Father has given us this gift. He so desperately desires for us to follow His Perfect and Sinless son. Why? Because Christ is the only way! :) As we love and follow Him we are Happy! Trust me it's true! He is our greatest example. He is our Redeemer. As we CHOOSE to follow Him we will be blessed. That is why AGENCY is important. Our Heavenly Father loves us so much that He has given us that ability to choose whether or not to follow His son. Why? Because it is just like trying to force a child to eat vegetables! Haha it really is! :) You could force the child to eat them but they wouldn't be very happy about it afterward. So most likely the first the first reaction is no, but as they see the good that comes from it, they are willing to try and then experience the true benefit that comes from "eating healthy". Or in this case being spiritually healthy. As we choose to follow Christ we will be happy. FACT! Trust me! :)

Well that was my little two cents on agency I guess. I had just felt so prompted to write about it. As I did I felt and I learned myself about how much our Father in Heaven really does love us to give us this wonderful gift. As for me I am doing pretty good! There was quite the snow storm here on this Tuesday! It was quite the adventure! We had transfer meeting and I got to meet my new companion! Elder Hooper! He is a great guy and he is from the one and only...Utah! I have realized that all of my companions have been from there! Pretty funny right! Also I found out that Elder Hooper doesn't speak Spanish. But yet I do. This is going to be interesting...As missionaries we are called to preach the Gospel in different languages and mine is Spanish and Elder Hooper is English. So we are going to have to figure something out to do with the Spanish people that we are teaching! It will be an adventure! Anyway we got to do some sweet service yesterday of shoveling snow! It was so much fun! My hands were about to fall off because for some reason my gloves aren't very good at keeping my hands warm. I had a blast though!! We did it in the morning and we had the wonderful opportunity to help out a lot of people in the community! I loved it! We met a guy who had worked in the TV business for 35 years and another who was from Bulgaria and spoke FIVE languages! Super cool! There was snow everywhere! It was great! Cold, but a lot of fun! And I also had the opportunity to eat some Balut! It was quite the day yesterday!

Being a missionary is tough! It involves a lot of decisions and using your agency :) It is amazing! This is a great work! Helping others receive the knowledge that they are sons and daughters of a Father in Heaven who loves them more than we can imagine is incredible! As we strive to become better daily we really will! And just like the quote says, when we have consistent and simple good habits we will receive so many blessings! This I know is true! Life is great and so beautiful! We are all on a tough journey but if wasn't tough we wouldn't learn right? Just remember that! Thanks for being great, and remember choose wisely out there! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment